Being a Floridian myself, I was interested in the best beach listing for Florida by U.S. News. I agree with most of their listing but they left out one beach I feel should have been in their top 8, Clearwater Beach.
Here is their listing of Florida’s Top 8 Beaches plus my addition.
- Sanibel Island – a very laid-back island, with the feel of the Florida Keys, but very quiet and family-oriented. Best known for the great shells that are easily found on their shores.
- Naples – a high-end beach resort town with gourmet eateries and art galleries and a nice white sandy beach for catching up on your tan.
- Miami Beach – glitzy, expensive and crowded, filled with celebrities, models and, in general, great looking people with all night parties and plenty of neon lights.
- Destin – located in the Florida panhandle, is a beautiful beach town that has plenty of sunshine, great fishing, golf and miles of white sand beaches.
- Fort Lauderdale – Wide stretches of beach, less crowded and more laid-back than Miami, but with plenty to see and do. Book a stay at Beach Place before or after a cruise or just settle down and enjoy the beach, take the water taxi to great restaurants and nightlife and, above all, have fun and relax.
- West Palm Beach – known for its millionaires and billionaires, is a more upscale, cultural city than the ones mentioned above. The beaches are nice and uncrowded and there is plenty of nightlife around Clematis and CityPlace to keep you entertained.
- Key West – the town Jimmy Buffet sang about in “Margaritaville”- laid-back, funky, full of everything from seafood shacks to gourmet restaurants, exciting nightlife (after all it is 5 o’clock somewhere), fascinating people and a great place for all kinds of water sports.
- Fort Myers Beach – a small town atmosphere with a great beach and warm, calm waters. Has the feel of the Florida Keys without the long distance to drive. Very laid-back and casual.
- Clearwater Beach – Rated the #1 beach in the gulf region and sporting a beautiful white sandy beach, restaurants lining the street along the ocean providing entertainment and some good seafood, a pier that hosts a nightly craft festival and many new hotels to accommodate every taste. A great place for a family vacation without the glitz and crowds.
Florida is a great place to vacation and live. A place to enjoy warm weather, beaches, sunrises and sunsets, nature, top sporting and cultural events and fantastic seafood. Next time you are thinking of a vacation, think of Florida.